Religions provides the base, an ideology for living. Throughout the years, the religions have been important part of our lives. The following essay focuses on religion, importance of religions and what role religion has to play in life.
Essay on Religions | Meaning, Purpose & Importance of Religion in Life
It simply means a set of beliefs and rituals that people hold sacred, which in most cases is the belief in some form of higher power or powers. In a sense, it is a very personal belief system. Religion is important because it serves as a moral guide for how people are expected to act in their world. For some, it provides a sense of peace and comfort. For others, it can provide a sense of purpose in life.
Major Religions of World
There are so many religions in the world, it would be hard to cover just five of those religions. Christianity is the largest religion with over 2 billion followers all over the world.
Islam is the second largest religion in the world with around 1.5 billion followers today, which originated from middle-east. Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world with over 900 million followers. It originated from India and Nepal and it has some flexibility in its beliefs. Buddhism is the fourth largest religion in the world, with over 500 million followers around the globe. It originated from middle-east and China.
>>>>>>>> Also Read: Essay on Charity Begins at Home
Judaism is the fifth largest religion in the world with over 14 million followers around the globe. It originated from middle-east and Africa. Jainism is the major religion in India and has around 4 million followers all over the world. It originated from India. Baha’i is the major religion in Iran with 2 million followers around the world. It originated from Israel and Syria. Sikhism is the major religion in India with 23 million followers all over the world. It originated from Middle East.
Founders of Religions:
There is no single founder of the major world religions. Most of them evolved over centuries. However, founders like Gautam Buddha, Jesus Christ and Prophet Muhammad are the major founders of three major world religions Buddhism, Christianity and Islam respectively.
Importance of Religions in Life
- Religion provides a sense of community / belonging to something greater than ourselves. Many people have the need to be part of something bigger, and religion provides that. Belonging to a group of like-minded believers gives people a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
- Religion provides a sense of identity. In the face of ever-changing trends and fads, religion gives people a sense of belonging to something more timeless and constant—a bond that transcends time.
- Religion can unite people in service towards a common good. Whether it is in the form of relief efforts during times of natural disasters, or fighting for social justice, people’s ability to work together on shared challenges is strengthened when there is a common belief system to unite them.
- Religion brings hope, comfort and peace during difficult times. Many people have turned to religion when faced with a terminal illness or a loved one is taken away from them through death. In those moments, it shines as a beacon of hope and provides inspiration.
- It is a source of guidance and provides lessons on how to live. Many religions provide practical advice for individuals on how to lead a moral life. We can all learn from each other, and religion provides a baseline for what is right and wrong.
- It gives a structure / a set of rules for how to live life. Having a religion provides a framework on what is acceptable and unacceptable behavior, as well as how to answer the difficult questions of the universe, such as “What happens after I die?”
- Religion can be a source of comfort for those who are grieving. Many people rely on their faith in times of crisis, when there seems to be no explanation for what is happening around them. Offering emotional support and comfort, religion can provide solace to those who may be confused or uncertain.
Religions Spread Peace & Love
All religions basically preach the message of love, peace and compassion. They provide the best way for humanity to find true happiness and believe that all human beings are equal. We all have been made from one essence and we must learn to live together as a collective whole
Role of Religion in Modern World
Today, many people are abandoning religion because they do not believe in the existence of God. They are thus creating their own path without religious guidance, which can be dangerous. People have become increasingly self-centered, and are unable to look beyond their own needs without some form of spirituality.
Religion still plays a very important part as it affects people’s thinking and concerns as well as defines and ratifies their behavior and morals. It also brings unity amongst the people of a particular faith and guides them to be good human beings as well as to help others in need.
>>>>>>> Read Also: Essay on Beggars
Religion helps make people connect to their inner-self and also look beyond. It is a source of hope for many, particularly in times of crisis. It brings us together to fight for a common cause and motivates us to be compassionate towards others. It is an important part of our life that shouldn’t be ignored or overlooked, for our own good.
Leave a Reply