This essay talks about Acid Rain its meaning and concept, What are causes of Acid Rain & How it affects the human life along with ways how to fight the acid for healthy environment. This essay is written in simple language and easy words for students.
Acid Rain Essay For Students
The term ‘Acid Rain’ was first used by Robert A. Smith in 1872. Acid rain is a type of rain that is very acidic, due to the pollutants present in the air. These pollutants are released into the air when we burn fossil fuels such as coal and oil. The main gases that cause acid rain are sulphur dioxide (SO2) and nitrogen oxides (NOx). When these gases mix with the water in the atmosphere, they form sulphuric acid and nitric acid. These acids then fall to the ground in the form of rain, snow, or hail.
Acid rain is a big problem because it can damage our environment and our health. When acid rain falls on trees and plants, it can damage their leaves and make them unable to grow. Acid rain can also make lakes and rivers too acidic for fish to live in. When we breathe in air that is contaminated with acid rain, it can irritate our lungs and cause respiratory problems.
>>>>> Related Post: ” Essay on Natural Resources & Its Management“
Causes of Acid Rain:
Following are the main causes of acid rain
1. Fossil Fuel Combustion: Burning fossil fuels such as coal and oil releases sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the atmosphere.
2. Volcanic Eruptions: When volcanoes erupt, they release harmful gases such as sulphur dioxide and carbon dioxide into the air.
3. Natural Sources: Decaying vegetation and forest fires also release sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides into the air.
Effects of Acid Rain:
Acid rain can cause many different types of damage to our environment.
1. It can damage the leaves of trees and plants, making it difficult for them to grow.
2. It can make lakes and rivers too acidic for fish and other aquatic creatures to live in.
3. It can contaminate our drinking water.
4. It can damage buildings and monuments made of stone or marble.
5. When we breathe in air contaminated with acid rain, it can irritate our lungs and cause respiratory problems.
Ways to Reduce Acid Rain:
There are many things that we can do to reduce acid rain.
1. We can use cleaner forms of energy such as solar and wind power instead of fossil fuels.
2. We can plant more trees and vegetation, which will help to absorb sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides from the air.
3. We can use cleaner technologies in industries and automobiles to reduce emissions of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen oxides.
4. We can raise awareness about acid rain and its effects on our environment and health.
>>>>> Related Post: ” Essay on Energy Conservation“
Acid rain is a big problem that is causing damage to our environment and our health. But there are things that we can do to reduce its effects. By using cleaner forms of energy, planting more trees, and raising awareness about acid rain, we can make a difference.
Leave a Reply